The Pacific Northwest has endured a summer of record breaking temperatures. UW Weather Guru Cliff Mass had an interesting piece on his blog detailing the proper placement of an outdoor thermometer:
“When it comes to measuring heat, the National Weather Service shares this advice about where to place your thermometer:
– Mount the thermometer in a shaded, well-ventilated and open area, about 5 feet above ground.
– Away from water sprinkler systems
– No closer than four times the height of any obstruction. For example, if a building is 10 feet tall, it needs to be no closer than 40 feet from that building.
– Located over natural ground just as grass, dirt or sod; which means, not on your roof.
– At least 100 feet from road or concrete.”